The Strange Story of Photographic Orbs


Digital cameras, especially digicams, are prone to producing round artifacts, under certain conditions, usually involving flash and low-light conditions. They often look like floating bubbles. These bubbles are popularly known as "orbs." The first time I took a picture and got orbs, I thought there was something wrong with the way I was taking the pictures, which was true, I was shooting a scene the camera couldn't handle.
Some people, however, when confronted with the same situation have decided that they own a camera that can detect ghosts, aliens, or other paranormal activity. It's like believing a photograph of a person with red-eye is proof that the person pictured is possessed by the devil.
It never occurred to me that anyone would consider orbs as anything other than a camera error, until a friend of mine sent me an orb picture. I explained to him that they were merely photo artifacts that could be reproduced in any camera, especially digicams. He went away skeptical, preferring to think that a ghost lives in his room. He isn't the only one, just go to Google Images and punch in "orbs," and you'll find all sorts of true-believers.
For those of you who believe orbs are caused by cameras, there is a pretty good article and links over at Wikipedia.
For the rest of you, I will just say the following: A camera is a machine that detects and records light, that's all it does and it does so imperfectly. Orbs are part of a camera's imperfect operation and not the spirits of your deceased loved ones. I am sorry to disappoint you, but I think it's best that you know the truth.

Photos: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment